Wednesday, July 26, 2017

30

The first tomato has been picked and eaten, in this case a cherry tomato shared with hubby.  It was very tasty and I am looking forward to many more to come.  The plants are loaded with green tomatoes so I now don't have to buy any tomatoes until Fall.  With 3 full size and 2 cherry tomato plants we will have plenty and I will share with Mom and the neighbors if I end up with too many.  I am not certain it will be a bumper crop year but it already looks like I will have more than last year.


In other news today officially marks the 30th day.  Of what?  Of hitting 10,000 steps per day without fail.  Yes, I have stepped it up a notch and instead of being okay with an average of 70,000 steps a week I decided that in order to be fit and to make it a habit it has to be every single day or I will let things slide.  Each day usually starts with 10-20 minutes on the treadmill.  The rest of the steps are natural which include things like weeding the flowerbeds, running to the store and walking the dog. I have also started standing more while working (put my laptop on a high dresser to type).  If by 7pm I have not gotten enough steps back on the treadmill.  This requires commitment and planning depending on what we are doing in the evening.  On Friday I will be spending five hours in a boat so that does not bode well for 10,000 steps so I will likely do at least 5,000 steps in the morning.  How long does each thousand steps take on a treadmill?  About 10 minutes.  Natural steps are much easier and more fun but it is good to have a backup plan.

You would think with averaging 10,000 steps a day the weight would be melting off but it has evened out, I weigh 136-137 lbs depending on the day, down from 147 lbs in January.  I do not weigh myself every single day, usually only a couple of times per week.  It turns out this exercise journey is more about getting fit than losing weight now.  And I am ok with that.  I am at the time in my life where your body and health goes downhill fast if you don't take care of it.  My wiggly bits have repositioned and become firmer bits.  My pants don't fit because my stomach, legs and butt have shrunk.  If I wanted to lose more weight I would have to eat less and I am hungrier now so that is difficult.  I still eat a ton of fruit and almost no bread,only with the occasional burger usually.  I do feel I am much healthier.  The weight loss will be much much slower now, maybe a pound or two a month if even that.

Is it easy?  No way.  This week I had a fibro flareup and feel like I have the energy of a slug.  Plus my skin hurts and I've not been sleeping (all fibro caused) so that makes it difficult to want to do 10,000 steps.  Frankly if we didn't have a treadmill that hubby bought used 4 years ago it wouldn't be happening.  The thing is, after making your target 30 days in a row it would almost take me going into hospital to break the pattern.  It is now officially a habit!


24 comments:

  1. Keep in mind that you're also building mustle, which is heavier that fat. Don't worry too much about weight loss, you're toning up. Drink plenty of water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that, definitely toning up as my shape is different (better). I drink a lot of water so have that covered :)

      Delete
  2. That is awesome! Way to go on the steps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to hit my 10,000 a day too. I'm surprised how easily it can be to hit 10,000 on what I think is a lazy day and yet be miles off when I think I haven't stopped all day lol
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always a relief when you hit the target. Some days I can do 14,000 and it feels like a normal day but this week I have been dragging my carcass across the 10,000 step finish line with only 100 or 200 to spare

      Delete
  4. I lost weight by eating more. Just find the things to eat that have very few calories and more fiber. I lost 46 lbs in 3.5 months. It was very easy. Exercising is not the way to lose weight, but it keeps you healthy in other ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Linda! I am eating more fruit and veggies and less bad stuff so am hoping the last few pounds still melt off, albeit slowly

      Delete
  5. Congratulations. I hope to walk more, but my knee has been bothersome. I laughed at the sharing of the cherry tomato. You are more generous than I-it would have been popped in my mouth straight away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The knee is tough, swimming is good for those with joint issues (according to my Mom). It's tradition to share the first tomato, no matter how small :)

      Delete
  6. You and I weigh the same! I used to be skinny and am glad of it! I weighed the same today as I did when I was 9 months pregnant with both Amber and Benjamim! I have learned to make peace with this. Age has weight added to it.
    Your tomato is beautiful!! We are still basking in the glow of being gardeners!

    Okay....may I brag a moment?
    Last night I cooked a pork roast that costs $3.07! Added veggies made it a $5 meal that fed four people dinner as well as lunch for LouisDean and me today!
    I felt a little bit like YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, well done Linda! I've never been slim but would like to get to around 130 lbs at some point.

      Delete
  7. I don't own a fitbit and we're not allowed to wear them at work, but I wonder sometimes how many miles I walk when I'm working. I was walking every morning this summer for 45 minutes and doing well. It helped keep me from gaining weight, but then the heat got turned up a notch. It's 80 degrees in the morning and the humidity is so bad that it makes it really uncomfortable to breathe, so I stopped walking. I weigh the same as you but I'm only 4'10" and it doesn't look good on me. I need to lose 20 pounds, but I can't even lose 1. It's very hard because I have the appetite of a normal size person. You're doing so great though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad about not being able to wear something like a fit bit to work, I do expect you likely do 10,000 steps a day per work day though being on your feet all the time. I've always had a very "active" appetite, so I get that :)

      Delete
    2. Why could you not get a Fitbit Zip, it is tiny? I clip it onto my undies at the hip. The Fitbit One is small enough that you can fit it into your bra. One of my friends does that.

      Delete
  8. Your tomatoes are way ahead of mine. Isn't it exciting to get your first taste?
    Well done on the walking. I've no idea how many steps I take but I suppose with my daily Wii Fit workout and not driving they must clock up.
    Keep up the good work. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the cherry tomatoes are ripening yet but I'll take it as have a ton of them. I bet you easily do over 10,000. Driving tends to make people lazy

      Delete
  9. Good job on the 30 days at 10K. Thanks to your inspiration I got to 14 days yesterday and today at 10:30 I am already at 6945 so I will make my 10K again.

    Sorry about the fibro flare up. Amazing that pushed through it and kept your steps up. Now that is a very good habit to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Contessa! I know you like I struggle to get the steps done when we work from home. I am trying to keep it up, rather proud of myself.

      Delete
  10. congrats on your walking achievements. Not to change the subject but I was wondering if you have tried making your own liquid laundry detergent? I found a recipe on Pinterest and made up a batch last week,it makes 10 gallons I'm very impressed with it and will probably never buy store bought brand again not to mention this will probably last well into next year.BTW that tomato looks yummy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is allergic to most laundry detergent so I just stick with what he isn't allergic to and always buy in bulk and only on sale, fortunately it went on sale a few $1.49 days a while ago so I stocked u

      Delete
  11. I think that for all "women of a certain age" that the fitness journey becomes more about exercise than calorie counting. Shifting things around also becomes more difficult. So you are to be commended on your amazing daily journey of "10,000steps"! Being an avid long distance walker and hiker I think it's the best way to keep healthy and fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, you are one of my inspirations and one of the fittest people I know :)

      Delete
  12. Hope you are feeling well. I have few plants in my balcony. No crops yet. But I can see few peppers growing.

    ReplyDelete