Wednesday, August 30, 2017

FORF!

Found on road free = FORF.  I noticed a free box on the sidewalk in my neighborhood this week as I was driving by but couldn't stop at that time so made sure to walk by later in the day with the dog and a bag to carry things home in.  The nice large IKEA storage jar on the left was in the box.  I already own the smaller IKEA jar on the right so knew exactly what it was along with another 2 that I store grains in.  I had just bought a large amount of rotini and had no free storage jars so this was good timing.



It also contained two interior extension cords, something which one can never have too many off.  There were some other items, mostly automotive related that I didn't want to lug home if we weren't going to use them so left them or other prospective FORFers.


This week was blackberry picking time.  Yesterday this was the takings and this morning Mom and I picked twice as many more.  I am running out of freezer containers so am likely to pick a few more this weekend just for us to use immediately.  I had strawberries, blackberries, a plum and yogurt for breakfast this morning and they are delicious!


And not free due to the original cost of my plants but I am currently at that stage in the summer where the tomatoes are coming ripe faster than we can eat them.  After eating tomatoes in meals five nights in a row and giving Mom some I texted this picture to a friend with the caption "please tell me all your tomatoes died!"  She texted back that her tomatoes are not ripening as fast as mine so tonight I will gift her a weeks worth.  I don't have enough to can them and don't like to freeze them until later in September as they are so tasty right now.  The cherry tomatoes just went wild and I still have tons of them on the vine.

And now for a story about  coincidences.  Right before hubby and I went to Ucluelet we had a day out without the dog to a neighboring town a 45 minute drive away.  We stopped in at a used record shop and found a Paul McCartney record of his from 1970.  Not just the same album but the same exact record - hubby signed his name to it!  We couldn't believe it.  Hubby got rid of his record collection about 20 years ago along with his record player in Edmonton.  Yes, a whole Province away.  Apparently one of his records made it to Vancouver Island for us to find it. Of course we bought it back, along with a couple other records as they had a good selection.  Strange coincidence, no?

30 comments:

  1. You had what I call 'a royal breakfast' of youghurt, strawberries and blacberries.

    'Old habits are hard to change'. Your hubby's love for records led him to the used records store - and there, excitement was waiting for him and you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only bought a record player last Christmas due to my love of old Christmas records, but now we are both hooked again

      Delete
  2. Love your coincidence story... that's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it kind of freaked my hubby out - if only all your belongings that you wanted back found their way back to you

      Delete
  3. The record find sounds like it was meant to be!
    You are so lucky to have your huge tomato yield. I only plant cherry tomatoes (the chipmunks can't climb the plants) and we have gotten zero this year. They grow and split while green, so I am guessing it is because of the huge amounts of rain we had for most of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your tomatoes! I grow mine down the south side of the house, the heat from the siding seems to make them take off and they are protected from most wind and some rain but our sprinkler system does water them during our hot dry summers and I water them on days that it doesn't. My friend here has had tomato blight in other years but I've never run into that.

      Delete
  4. That is amazing that he found his own record! Of course, he had to bring it home.

    I freeze blueberries in pint and half pint canning jars. Normally, freezing only works in straight-sided jars. But, since there is no liquid to freeze, any canning jar will work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use old yogurt containers (we eat yogurt a lot and at this point I don't make it) for the blackberries, they don't seem to get squished that way. Some of these are destined for jam though so I used a larger old rubbermaid-like container for those ones

      Delete
  5. So funny about the record. And even funnier that you bought it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is really funny is that he doesn't even like Paul McCartney that much! But he does remember signing it so it was fate and only $5 so there was no question about buying it back. I hope some of the really hard to find records like Frampton Comes Alive finds its way back to us

      Delete
  6. Those berries look so good! I'd be gorging on tomato sandwiches-wait, not supposed to be eating bread, but it would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that bread thing, my nemesis! On my birthday week I had my favorite, bagels so trying to cut it back out now but I had to have at least one BLT night!

      Delete
  7. A few years ago we had a bumper crop of tomatoes. Shelagh quartered them and slow roasted them in the oven, with some olive oil and Italian herbs. They tasted delicious like sundried tomatoes, and kept very well in the freezer...

    Incredible to find an old treasure in a used record store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very tasty, I might have to try that!

      Delete
  8. What a splendid coincidence, and must have been such a surprise to stumble upon the record. Good jar that, perfect timing for when you needed it the most. Greetings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved finding that jar, probably bought mine at IKEA around 18 years ago (was pre-hubby purchase) and have used them every single day. One can never have too many storage jars, especially when you buy in bulk. I find things stay fresher longer in them than leaving them in the plastic wrappings.

      Delete
  9. Im only just starting with the growing lark so herbs and courgettes herbs doing well but only flowers on the courgettes lol your toms look fab and that record story is hilarious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the tomatoes keep coming. I also grow rosemary and chives but those grow easy here

      Delete
  10. Perfect that you both had a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I like those Ikea containers. The strange coincidence of finding the record, that will sure to freak me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I bought the three I owned before this new one about 18-20 years ago, they have stood the test of time really well

      Delete
  12. I love it. FORF. lol A neighbor moving out recently left a box of about 30 pounds of Mardi Gras beads on the curb. I scooped them up for my friends that throw them from their float. Great jar. And those berries look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good save on the beads! I am a little scratched and bloodied up but this is one of the best years for blackberries so am not sure I am through picking yet. Have to find some more containers

      Delete
  13. That is quite the coincidence. To be honest, I didn't even know they still make record players. I tend to listen the radio, but never had much of a collection.

    Enjoy the bounty of your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually record players are selling really well, some newer artists have started to have their albums produced in record style now.

      Delete
  14. What a coincidence with the PM record! I wonder who'd owned it over the years?
    I love getting free stuff, I was hovering by the bins at the festival after we'd packed up yesterday - I just can't help myself.
    Tomatoes and blackberries are plentiful here, too. I've frozen loads of my blackberries and I'm going to make blackberry vinegar and chutney next week when things aren't too busy. The South Indian's do an incredible green tomato curry, you should find a recipe for it if you Google it, I love it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about your bin diving, wow, you got some fab finds! Actually all my tomatoes are turning red like crazy. I picked even more blackberries last night!

      Delete
  15. That is really strange about the record. I used to follow a Freecycle page but somehow lost it over time. There are lots of local Facebook pages now for free and low cost items to take its place. Missed out on the blackberries this year except a few to eat fresh. I only have one half pint left canned so I'll have to treasure it. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Freecycle was huge at one time, I used to follow it too but with Facebook it went by the wayside. I often start things at free just to get rid of them on the bidding page, that way the only time something is bidded up is if more than one person wants your item. There are still loads of ripe blackberries here, I pick a few every dog walk. I've never seen them edible this late in September, usually by now they are dried up

      Delete